"30 Beauty Tips before 30" by Kat of LA
Hi everyone, I am so excited for my friend Ferly Prado for launching her new company. Let me tell you a little about myself and how Ferly and I met. About 4 years ago, I decided to take a leap of faith and move to LA to pursue my dreams of working on set and photoshoots. In the past 4 years my life has change completely, from career, to my relationship and also myself as an individual. In my first year freelancing doing hair and makeup in LA, I met Ferly on set. She is the coolest, most genuine and beautiful Brazilian cutie. We automatically connected at first sight. After our first shoot, we been working together ever since. It was like love at first sight! lol. Well, I am approaching 30 soon and I have been thinking, aka freaking out, what are the most important beauty tips that I have learned throughout the years. I would love to share them with everyone. I have made many discoveries in life, but I have learned a lot along the way. One of the most important things I have learned about beauty is to to enhance, not mask your beauty. Effortless beauty is always better and should always embrace your uniqueness. Enough about me, lets get down to those 30 tips, tricks and best kept secrets!
30. Rose Water- Well it not only smells great, but it’s great for your skin. Rose water is awesome as a natural makeup remover, eye puffiness reducer and also as a refreshing toner. With one spray of rose water, your makeup can be set for hours. Don’t believe me, try for yourself! I usually get my rose water at the Persian Supermarket in LA but you can also find it online.
29. Coconut Oil- It’s the best multipurpose oil in the world. It’s not only great for your diet,it’s great for your hair, skin and all around wonderful. Add coconut oil in your coffee for more energy, and to boost up your metabolism. Not all coconut oil is created equal, make sure to get organic or extra virgin coconut.
28. Fake Lashes- Let me say that fake strip lashes have changed my LIFE. Lash extensions are great too, but can be a little costly. I know it’s difficult to do strip lashes on yourself, but with time and practice you will be a pro at it and it will change your whole look and eye shape. Make sure to have fun and play with different sizes and kinds. The Lashes I love are Wispies and Babies from Ardell. For the lashes glue, I love Callas. It’s great for special events, weddings and pool parties, plus it’s water proof!
27. Sun Block- This is very important if you want to keep your skin wrinkle free, tight and toned. Make sure to wear SPF 15 to 30 on a regular basis. Trust me your 30’s, 40’s and future self will thank you for it. My favorite are the Aveeno Sunblock or Neutrogena.
26. Eye Cream- I recently started using eye cream and let me tell you, it changes the way the concealer sets, and will help with preventing creasing. Under eye cream helps and also prevents under eye wrinkles. My favorite eye cream is KIEHL’S creamy eye treatment with avocado.
25. Exfoliant/Scrubbing- If you want smooth, healthy skin, you must exfoliant. I love and take care of my skin. Part of my skin routine is to exfoliant my skin twice a week. I usually make my own sugar scrub with one cup of honey, half cup of raw cane sugar and 2 tablespoon of melted coconut oil and keep it in my shower. It’s great for a full body scrub as well.
24. Essential Oils- I love my oils, essential oils have many healing effects mentally, physically, and emotionally. My favorite oil is Frankincense from Doterra. It’s a super oil with so many healing powers such as immune support, digestive support and also helps you with menstrual cramps and mood swings. I love creating my own body sprays with my essential oils as well.
23. Face Masks- Ever since I was a little girl my mom has taught me to take care of my skin. Another part of my skin routine is to apply a face mask at least once a week. Face masks are great for de-stressing, adding moisturize, cleansing, clarifying and smoothing your skin. My favorite face masks are the Korean sheet mask, straight raw honey or a raw avocado face mask. Both of these should be left for 20 minutes.
22. Honey- Honey doesn’t only make your tea taste amazing. Honey is great for scrubs, masks. It gives you more energy, enhances memory function and even helps fight colds. Make sure to get organic or raw honey.
21. Korean spas- My secret weapon to de-stressing my mind, body and spirit. I love going to Korean spas to just spend the day scrubbing, reading, detoxing and getting “me time.” My spas are in LA. My favorite are Natura Spa, Crystal Spa and Wii Spa. Take a break, and have a spa day.
20. Hair treatments- Part of having beautiful shiny hair is to take care of it and nourish it. I been half brunette and half blonde for six years now. Through coloring my hair, having extensions using hot tools frequently, my hair gets dry and damaged at times. To keep my hair healthy and color vibrant, I only wash my hair once a week.I put a heavy hair conditioning mask every two weeks to keep my hair shiny, healthy, and strong. Favorite hair masks are straight coconut oil, L’oreal Serie Expert Intense Repair Masque for Dry Hair and Redken Extreme Strength Builder Fortifying Mask. sometimes I sleep with the hair mask over night and wash it the next morning. Make sure to have an old pillow case because the mask may stain your pillow case.
19. Massages- Massages are great for de-stressing, re-balancing, alleviating back pain and headaches as well as treating yourself in a great way! My favorite techniques of massage of Thai, trigger point and reflexology.
18. Protein Shakes- Protein shakes are great for meal replacements and the “on the go” person. It’s very important to have protein in your diet if you want to keep up muscle production and have a lean, sexy, body. My favorite protein shakes are Perfect Fit Protein, 310 Shakes and Vanilla Trim Shake Slim & Sassy.
17. Meditation- I love mediation for its many relaxing properties such as self reflection and self guidance. Many of us have very busy schedules and never even take a minute to relax or to breathe. Mediation is the practice of learning to let go, and allowing ones self to be at peace for a period of time.
16. Being Organized - Being an organized and detail oriented individual has helped me be very successful. My clients love how much I pay attention to details, how punctual and reliable I am. Being successful in my books comes with being organized, punctual, reliable and respectful. “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle” Abraham Lincoln
15. Semi-annual cleanse detox- Everyone who knows me, knows I love do a body detox 2 to 3 times a year. Like we clean our homes and maintain our cars, we need to clean our bodies. Benefits of detoxing your body are dramatic. More energy, clearer thinking, stronger immune system, glowing skin, fresher breathe, anti-aging effects and even dropping a few LB’s. I have done many cleanses but my favorite ones are Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox and Juicing.
14. Veggies- OMG, I love vegetables. I would totally eat veggies over fruits, but my boyfriend is the total opposite! Vegetables are great in so many ways. They help keep me feel full longer. They help with weight management. They also give you tons of fiber and vitamins, promotes clearer skin along with added energy. So start incorporating more veggies in your diet today!
13. Conturing- Conturing is like spanx for your face. I love, love, love, to contour to my face on regular basis. However, I do it very naturally. Through trial and error, I have learned to blend my contour and enhance my makeup routine everday. Like I said before, makeup should be to enhance, not mask your face. My favorite contouring kit is Aesthetica Cosmetics their products are both affordable and very good quality.
12. Foundation- If you wear the right foundation for your skin. Your skin will look 10 times better. Foundation should match your skin tone and color. It should also cover dark spots, flaws and enhance the all over look. My favorite foundation is The Makeup Forever HD Foundation which is medium to full-coverage, great for everyday wear, special events and photo shoots. I also been loving the Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation which is a full-coverage and wearable for long days.
11. Learning new things- My motto is the more you know the sexier you are. Learning new things keep you in the present moment, it expands your mind, increases confidence, helps you breakout from a rut and pushes you to challenge yourself. Try something different today! Sign up for a class or read a new book.
10. Positive thinking- “Every thought we think is creating our future.” Louise L. Hay. As far back as I can remember, my mom has always told me to think pretty thoughts and to always believe in the good in everyone. I know at times our mind doubts and our ability to think happy thoughts is limited, but through affirmations and positive thinking a lot can be conquered. Being beautiful starts from within.
9. Water- H2O my favorite drink besides champagne. Water has many benefits. Water helps you maintain weight, control calories and keep your skin glowing. It also helps you get rid of toxins naturally, keeps you hydrated which is essential for a healthy, balanced diet. DRINK YOUR WATER!
8. Diet- Why is having a healthy balanced diet important? Having a balanced diet is good for your overall health, weight control, sustainable energy for your physical activity. It’s crazy to think that food can affect every area in your life from mood, energy, weight and health. For the past three years I have committed to being a pescatarian which means that I don’t eat any meat besides poultry. Ever since I stopped eating meat my digestive system and skin are better. I still need a lot of improvements in my diet, but I always try to strike a balance.
7. Exercise- I think one of the most important things about not aging is always to keep moving. Why is exercising so important? Exercising with a balanced diet not only makes you look more lean, more tone. It also improves your mood, boosts your energy, promotes healthier sleep and can be an outlet to stress. Not to mention, it’s fun! I know sometimes it’s hard to find the best and right exercise for you but can’t find out until you try it right?? My favorite class and exercises are spinning, kettles bells, weights, Cardio Barre, and working out on the beach. If for some reason you can’t sign up for gym or class. Youtube has great workouts from Tone It Up to Pop Pilates and are available online for no cost. So get moving you have no excuses.
6. Dancing- Dancing well let’s just say it’s why I love Ferly so much. I love to watch professional dancers just create a beautiful choreography from movements. I personally love to dance and love to dance like no one is watching. For me dancing expresses my personality and frees my soul, but it has to be to the right beat. So what are you waiting for? Go to your living room, turn on your favorite jams and dance like no is watching.
5. Helping others- I feel like we all came here to live, love, eat, play, dance and help others. Serving others has many benefits like, expressing gratitude, you go from me to we, transforming yourself, connecting with others and serving God. The most giving people I know are my mother and my boyfriend, these two individuals always give without expecting anything in return.
4. Believe- The best thing I ever did was to believe in myself. Probably one of the most important lessons I learned in my 20’s. There is always someone prettier, skinner, sexier than me, but I never gave up and never stopped believing in what I could accomplished.
3. Smiling- Smiling is probably the best makeup you can ever wear. Always keep your head up and never stop smiling, happy people are the most beautiful. “Smiling is my favorite” - Elf
2. Confidence- I believe we all struggle with our confidence in our 20’s. Our 20’s are a time in our lives to reinvent who we are, to get to know ourself, to discover what we love to do, and make many other important discoveries. The journey never stops, but knowing who you are and what you represent is being your most confident self.
1. Love Yourself- The most important thing you can do for your beauty and self is to love yourself no matter what. Always love the person you are and always strive to be better and look better. There’s nothing more beautiful than self love. So today, say this to yourself “I love and appreciate myself.”
Cheers to my 30’s and bring on the new adventures in my life. I hope you all enjoy reading my 30 beauty tips I have learned along my journey. I really hope I can help and inspire some of you to try some of tips and make your life a more beautiful living space.
Love & Peace
Kat of LA